Types of WIAPS Approval:        Scope of work

WIAPS approve 5 different types of contractor:


Approved Plumbers can work on all parts of a plumbing system, from the external supply pipe right up to the kitchen and bathroom taps.


Approved Groundworkers can work on the supply pipe (the underground pipe) supplying your property, up to the internal stop valve. 

Catering installers

Approved Catering Installers can install commercial kitchen equipment.

Point of use installers

Approved Point of Use Installers can install cold water chillers connected directly to the mains. 

RPZ Valve testers

Approved RPZ valve testers can undertake commissioning and annual compliance testing of RPZ valves. 

Important information:                 Search by postcode:


If something goes wrong, a WIAPS Approved Plumber will be required to put right any work which contravenes the Water Supply (Water Fittings) Regulations and Scottish Water Byelaws. Each WIAPS Approved Plumbers’ business is also required to hold public liability insurance of at least £2m. Without this cover, plumbing businesses cannot become a member of WIAPS.

There are also complaints procedures in place with a set protocol for customer redress and dealing with disputes. This complaints process seeks to address any shortfall in technical compliance but will not cover other complaints such as about the price charged.

  • Please note, when WIAPS compiled the information on our approved plumbers search, the companies listed employed contractors who are familiar with the requirements of the Water Regulations.

  • Your contract will be with the approved contractor and not WIAPS, so we cannot give assurance of their availability or guarantee their work.

  • WIAPS will not get involved in any contractual disputes between you and the contractor.

  • WIAPS recommended that you obtain at least three quotes before employing any contractor.

  • WIAPS recommend that you ask in advance, whether there is a charge for giving a quote.

  • Please make sure you receive a work completed certificate on completion of the work.

  • Make sure that the work is carried out or witnessed by one of the named contractor listed as being approved for that company.