Water Supply Industry Interpretations and Advice
- Area of Interest : Backflow prevention
- Topic : Fluid category
- Title : High risk tap installations
- Clause Reference : Schedule 2 paragraph 15 & G15.3
- Reference Number : B34
- Decision Date : May 2005 (revised June 2015)
Taps used in high risk installations, such as kitchen sinks, are considered to be a fluid category 5 risk. Backflow protection is usually provided in the form of an AUK3 tap gap.
Where an AUK3 tap gap cannot be maintained, for example where the tap gap is compromised as a result of:-
- the tap being lowered in any way;
- adjustment to the spout which reduces the distance between the tap outlet and spillover level of the sink; or
- the operation of a pull out hose attachment
alternative fluid category 5 backflow protection is required.