Water Supply Industry Interpretations and Advice
- Area of Interest : Backflow prevention
- Topic : Fluid category
- Title : Hose union taps used in connection with spa, floatation and whirlpool baths
- Clause Reference : Schedule 2 paragraph 15 & G15.3
- Reference Number : B45
- Decision Date : September 2010
Hose union taps used in connection with, whirlpool baths, spa pools and floatation tanks in domestic premises may, provided that:-
- an air gap between the outlet of any attached hose and pool water is maintained at all times and the hose is not immersed or submerged in pool water; and
- any hose attached is fitted with a self closing trigger outlet
may be regarded as a fluid category 3 risk and as such can be protected against backflow by means of a double check valve - insulated against freezing where appropriate.
Hose union taps used in connection with whirlpool baths, spa pools and floatation tanks in non-domestic premises may providing the same conditions are met, be protected against backflow by an arrangement offering a minimum of fluid category 4 backflow protection.
For the purposes of this interpretation a domestic installation is a bath, pool or tank used by the occupants of a single privately owned or rented property for their and their friends, personal use. Where a bath, pool or tank is used by the occupants of more than one property the local water supplier will need to carry out a risk assessment to determine the level of risk.