Water Supply Industry Interpretations and Advice
- Area of Interest : Enforcement
- Topic : Systems heated by uncontrolled heat source
- Title : Safety devices that introduce water to cool systems heated by an uncontrolled heat source
- Clause Reference : Regulation 3
- Reference Number : E07
- Decision Date : June 2014
The principle of introducing water to cool a system heated by an uncontrolled heat source (e.g.solid fuel, wood and biomass) as a last resort in an emergency does not constitute a waste of water. However, those relying upon this form of safety arrangement must be fully aware that the constant supply of water from a public main cannot be guaranteed.
For such arrangements there should be a conspicuous visual means of identifying any discharge from the systems. Any discharge to drain must pass through a Type AA or AB air gap or an air break to drain installed in accordance with the requirements of EN 1717.