Water Supply Industry Interpretations and Advice
- Area of Interest : Requirements for Water Fittings
- Topic : Interruption to water supply
- Title : Electric water heaters - continuity of supply
- Clause Reference : Regulation 4(1)(b)
- Reference Number : RWF1
- Decision Date : June 2001
It is a matter for the EU Electrical Products Directive and associated Regulations and not primarily a matter of responsibility for the water supplier where an electric water heater connected to the mains water supply is damaged when the water supply is temporarily interrupted. Such interruptions, although rare, can occur and reference can be made to the requirement that "Every water fitting shall ….. Be suitable for the circumstances in which it is used".