Water Supply Industry Interpretations and Advice
- Area of Interest : Water Quality
- Topic : Maintaining wholesomeness
- Title : Use of petroleum tapes for wrapping pipes and fittings
- Clause Reference : Regulation 3
- Reference Number : WQ08
- Decision Date : September 2010
As plastic pipe and fittings are susceptible to permeation by organic compounds, such as the hydrocarbons present in the adhesive glues and mastics used in tapes for wrapping pipe and fittings, it is recommended that such products only be applied to plastic pipe if the pipe incorporates a protective aluminium layer or is pre-wrapped with aluminium foil prior to the wrap application.